Saturday, March 15, 2014

Stress and the Test of Time

Frederick Saunders was a librarian and an author. He wrote a straight-forward statement about stress, “Brain cells create ideas. Stress kills brain cells. Stress is not a good idea.” It is hard to argue with that kind of good, clear thinking. Still, I prefer the wag who defined stress as, “The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some jerk who desperately deserves it.”

We all respond to stress in different ways. Su takes all of her stress in, processes it, then, gets out the calendar to start planning exactly what and when she needs to do something so that she can get out of the stressful situation. Facing the same stress, I tell stories. Su’s response allows her to change the stressors in her life in a very practical way. Mine makes more people smile.

Right now we are facing some significant stress in our lives. As Paul Harvey used to say, “Let me explain.”

One of our sending churches, Autumn Ridge Church, called me a while back and asked if I would consider returning to the United States to serve as their missions pastor. That did not cause stress. In fact, it was a real honor to have them even consider me for the role. What has produced the stress is that, after originally discouraging the idea, I said “yes” to their invitation.

That’s right, after ministering in Latin America for most of the past 37 years, we are planning a move back to the United States. Not only are we planning to move to North America, we are planning on moving to Minnesota! After this past winter, no one can accuse of us of making the change for the wonderful weather.

As most of you know, Su has suffered from chronic health conditions which required several surgeries over the past three and a half years. We now realize that she is probably going to live with some of the remaining nerve damage for the rest of her life. In addition, in the midst of cycles of pain, pain relievers, surgery, and more pain relievers – all repeated several times over - Su has experienced significant depression.  

Our move will put Su at the doorstep of the Mayo Clinic where she has received some of her best help. It will also allow me to remain involved in missions in a vital fashion. Sounds good, right?

Still, leaving our ministry in Latin America and the team which we have helped form is just plain hard. Leaving our home in beautiful Costa Rica is tough. Leaving our friends and co-workers is painful. All of this creates some real stress.

Su already has her calendar out; so, let me tell you a story.

I never wanted to be a missionary. Truth be told, I didn’t even want to be a Christian. Fortunately, God put a lot of grease on the slippery slope of grace which resulted in me losing my skeptical footing and falling into faith.

Still, having become a Christian, I certainly was not going to be a missionary. No, no, not me. I had heard enough missionaries speak and seen enough slide presentations to know that God just HAD to have something different for me in life. Besides, I couldn’t stand the smell of the mothballs they all seemed to have on their clothing.

Then, in a vulnerable conversation while I was trying to impress my future father-in-law, I told him that Su and I were praying about missions. Since he seemed pleased with the idea, I actually began to consider it. Once again, I started to lose my solid footing in life.

Su and I packed our corduroy bell-bottoms and sweaters and moved to La Paz, Bolivia, in 1978. By June of 1979 I was SURE I didn't want to be a missionary. In the depths of some serious culture shock I could only think about how I could get out of my commitment. Since I could not think of an honorable way to escape, I decided I would have to finish out one more year in Latin America.

Sometime during that year I fell in love with Bolivia, ministry and missions. It couldn't have happened to a more unlikely prospect.

Next to experiencing a relationship with God and enjoying my wonderful marriage and family, serving “out here” has been the greatest joy of my life. As I count up the miles flown, I realize that I have had the privilege of ministering in over fifty countries. How did that ever happen to kid from Zumbro Falls, MN? Only God knows.

Lord willing, we will spend the next years of our lives mobilizing other men and women with poor footing to reach out to the world. Just as we have valued your support and prayers for the past 37 years, we would value your prayers during this next stage in our lives. 

No comments: