Sunday, April 28, 2013

Standing on Our Own Two Knees


I woke up this morning with the intention of writing a tongue-in-cheek reflection on the passing of George "No Show" Jones. That man had a gift for making even a happy song sound sad. His different hairstyles through the years provided a social commentary on what went right or wrong during the last half century of popular culture. Still, even though it would have given me the opportunity to share my real thoughts on pastel-colored leisure suits, I thought better of it and decided I should give you an update on what has been happening - especially with Su - in the past month.
 
At the end of March we traveled to the States for two weeks with the plan to visit with folks at Alpine Chapel, Autumn Ridge Church and several friends and supporters. We also vaguely hoped that Su could be seen at the Mayo Clinic. Through the grace of God and Su's long-time GI doctor, we were able to get in for an initial appointment.

 
When Dr. Arora came into the examination room he recognized me immediately. However, he did a double take with Su. He quickly expressed genuine concern for how she is doing. At the end of our conversation he begged us to consider leaving Su in Rochester until they could determine a way to help her improve. So, in short, that is what we did.
 
After helping Su get started with her THREE WEEKS of appointments, I returned to Costa Rica and some pressing ministry concerns. Su continued on through MRI's, an electro-myelogram, consultations and intensive physical therapy. Finally, I returned to spend the last few days with her, learn about some of the therapy she would need to continue doing by herself at home in the coming months and assist her on the return trip to San Isidro.
 
I would like to say we actually achieved Dr. Arora's goal of seeing a breakthrough for Su. However, to mis-quote the recently deceased Mr. Jones, that would not be one of my favorite lies. In reality, Su has a bit more information about what is happening and about three months of challenging physical therapy ahead of her with an uncertain outcome..
 
To say that Su is a bit discouraged would be an understatement. The schedule on the refrigerator door tells us that she has eight physical therapy sessions each day... everyday. The shortest one requires ten minutes and the longest ones take forty. As she said to me through tears yesterday morning, "That's all of my day!" 
 
She's right.
 
On the Insight for Living website, Charles Swindoll relates a story from his childhood when he visited at his grandfather's cottage in deep, south Texas. Because so many relatives attended those family reunions, each year his grandfather hired the same man to help with the cooking. His name was Coats. Swindoll writes, "His skin was as black as a cast iron skillet, and his quick smile and quaint comments are a lasting memory for me." One evening Coats told Chuck a bit about his life - which had been filled with several tragedies. As they watched the sun go down, Coats rubbed his big, leathery hand through Swindoll's hair and said, "Little Charles - the hardest thing about life is that it's so daily."
 
That is about where Su is at right now - life is pretty daily.
 
Of course, we will have to see if the therapy "pays off." At this point there are a few encouraging signs. It would be helpful for Su to be able to see how all this hard work will turn out. Still, as Corrie Ten Boom once said, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
 
As for myself, I guess I am forced to return to the subject of George Jones! He recorded a song during the seventies with these lyrics, "Well I know I'm not walking tall but I'm trying, And at least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees." Sometimes that is all we can do - stand on our own two knees and cry out to a God who knows.


No comments: