Sunday, June 02, 2013

Lost in Translation

I spent part of the past week in San Salvador, El Salvador, participating with about 30 other mission and business leaders in a consultation on business as missions. Because of the rapidly changing realities in our world we need to be very strategic about how we place authentic disciples in the right place at the right time. Some of the topics we discussed were: 1) Guiding principles of business as mission; 2) Clarification of terminology in business as missions; 3) Contemporary situations and opportunities in the world; and much more.

As often happens in consultations like this - with participation from the North and the South - there was need for translation between Spanish and English. One of the speakers at the consultation was a talented man named Voltaire who spoke several languages... none of which were Spanish. Another entrepreneur who attended had spent most of his career in the "awl bidness" and spoke "fluent Louisianian" but his Spanish was limited. So, with no previous warning, I was assigned the translation duties for my two new friends.

It wasn't too bad. I actually like to translate. Each time I do it in public I kick metaphorical sand into the face of the Spanish teachers who told me I would never become proficient in the language. I wish I was more spiritual, but these occasions of self-justification do provide some personal encouragement.

My father-in-law once told me that medical diagnosis is as much of an art as it is a science. I must admit that translation - at least when I do it - has some similar characteristics.

Translating into Spanish for my good friend, Gani Sison (Director of IT Philippines), I once communicated to a group of pastors and leaders that Gani had six mistresses... rather than one wife and five daughters. I am not sure Gani has ever truly forgiven me for squandering his hard-earned testimony in such a casual way. However, I must admit that several of those Latin leaders seemed to show unusual interest in working with International Teams after that meeting!

When President Carter traveled to Poland in 1977, an interpreter was hired who knew Polish, but was not used to professionally translating into that language. Through this interpreter President Carter managed to communicate his sincere interest in the "Polish lusts for the future" (instead of desires for the future). I can assure you the media in both countries enjoyed this more than they should have. Some people need to get their minds out of the gutter.

In the 1950's chocolate companies trying to expand their business into Japan began encouraging people to celebrate Valentine's Day. A "mis-translation" from one of those companies gave people the idea that it was customary for women to give chocolate to men on February 14. Apparently that is what they do to this day. On March 14 the men return the favor. All in all, I would have to say that this is a translation error that worked out in the favor of the chocolate companies! 

Sorry. I am enough of a cynic to wonder if that particular "error" was an honest mistake.

During the past twenty years I have spent a great deal of time traveling... and more time in airports than I care to remember. Fortunately, the translations I have occasionally observed on airport signs have provided comedic relief to what could have been pure drudgery. Menus have also been a source of constant amazement. I hope you do not think less of me, but I actually did once eat some "butt cream soup" (Pumpkin soup) because - well, because I wanted to say I had actually eaten it! 

Sometimes I wonder if I am any better than those journalists who followed President Carter!

As I think about how I "should have" interpreted certain phrases this past week, I cannot help but marvel at the wonderful Bible translations we have available today. So many men and women have done so much hard work to give us translations that attempt to reflect the original languages. What a privilege we have to be able to compare, study and, hopefully, apply the truth that God has given to His people.

Still, I must admit that the more I interpret and translate, the more I compare those different versions. It is easier than it once was for me to see the "art" in the midst of the "science." Hopefully, in the long-run it simply gives me more time to try and understand what God is trying to say to me.

No comments: