Friday, June 07, 2013

Woody's Brain on Su

A Frightening Look into Woody's Brain on a Very Special Day!

I doubt anyone of a certain age who lives in the United States can forget the following public service advertisement: "This is your brain [an egg]. This is drugs [a hot frying pan]. This is your brain on drugs [one sizzling egg]. Any questions?"

Since its appearance in 1987, it has become one of the best-known, mass media, health campaign ads - encouraging parodies, jokes and, even, a few songs.  In 1999 TV Guide came up with a list of the top 50 commercials of all time. “Your-brain-as-a-frying-egg” came in at (drum roll) #11. Personally, I would have scored the old Welch’s Grape Jelly ad – the one with the vapor going up and coming back into the cooking vat – much higher.

Unfortunately, people are still attracted to drugs because it activates the part of the brain that makes you feel, well, good. After all, humans do enjoy that kind of feeling.
 
Now, here is why all this came to my mind today. Arthur Aron, PhD, says, “The area of the brain which is stimulated by drugs is the same reward area which is activated (when) people are experiencing intense romantic desire.” I think he means love, but scientists (and doctors) must get paid by the syllable.
 
Helen Fisher spent her academic career trying to figure out what is happening in the brains of people who are head-over-heels in love. She confirmed that the caudate nucleus – what our evolutionary friends sometimes refer to as the “reptilian brain” – is very active in people in love. I am not sure what that means. However, Fisher also says that love activates our brains a bit like chocolate. Now, that I get.
 
Another researcher, Ted Huston, had more interest in what happens in the brain in long-term relationships. He found that people who tend to idealize their mate have happier marriages. According to Huston, "Usually, this is a matter of one person putting good spin on the other, seeing the partner as more responsive than he or she really is."
 
Score one for blind optimism!
 
Today, my “chocolate-loving brain” is very thankful for Su. We are celebrating our 38th anniversary – certainly not worthy of being announced on Paul Harvey’s old radio program, but, for optimists like me, “something is something.”
 
I was never a quick learner. In first grade I was in the “bluebird reading group” – in other words, I had the natural academic ability of wet cement. When we moved to Bolivia, Spanish was a challenge. I think it also took me more than the average amount of time to learn some of the basic marriage lessons a man needs to absorb. It could be my reptilian brain is stunted in the evolutionary process.
 
Still, marriage is a great school to help us evolve from “I” to “we.” The tuition is pretty high and the homework can be painful, but the degree continues to have value, even in a troubled economy.
 
Thinking of schools, when Su was in the ninth grade, one of her friends developed a crush on me. Hard to imagine, but true. When Su heard about it, she told her friend, “Stay away from him. He’s nothing but trouble.”
 
In retrospect, Su was probably right and would have been well-served to follow her own advice. Still, today I am very thankful that someone as bright and skilled as Su fell in love with a genuine bluebird like me.
 
So, today I celebrate “my brain on Su.” Next to the experience of following after Jesus, nothing has impacted me like life and love with her. In fact, as I look at the people, experiences and tools that God has used to form me as a disciple, no one and nothing has been used in my life like she has.
 
Happy Anniversary, Su! You probably were hoping for something more than a “fried egg” on this day, but keep in mind what Dr. Huston had to say about putting a good spin on what you got. More than anything, I hope you know that I love you more today than I did when that pastor wearing white patent leather shoes married us at Woodland Camp.
 
Some things you can forgive – but those shoes on that wonderful day in those beautiful woods are not one of them!

No comments: