Sunday, November 03, 2013

Flop Sweat on the Brows of Young Men

When our daughters began to develop interest in boys there was one, firm rule in our household: Every young man who wanted the privilege of dating them had to pass through the fiery furnace of “The Interview.” Each gentleman was forced to sit down for an hour-long conversation – alone, man to man - with Papi… that would be me!

In retrospect, I am afraid I enjoyed observing each of them suffer a wee bit too much. There is nothing like seeing someone whose sole intention is to steal your daughter and ruin your harmonious family life become faint and disorientated under the unrelenting “father stare.” It’s even better if they break out into nervous flop sweat!

At least our son-in-law Howard Porter was a bit older when we met for the first time. He had attended Bible college, experienced some different ministries, and was working as a missionary in Sucre, Bolivia. Still, I seem to remember that his autonomic nervous system began to fail him as he attempted to impress me with the sincerity of his intentions.

Now, admittedly, when Chris Ophus came for his interview he had not been fully prepared by Krista for the inquisition he was about to face. I think he was under the impression that he was going to enjoy a benign, friendly family visit.

Sometimes it is better to not know when the bullet is going to strike.

Using the car Chris had parked in front of our house as a practical word picture, I began by asking him if he would lend the vehicle to me if he had never met me before. Trying to sound responsible (every young man wants to at least sound responsible) he said, “No, of course not!” I responded by saying, “You need to understand my daughter is more precious to me than your car is to you. I am not going to lend her to someone whom I do not know. Let’s get going. First, I would like to hear your testimony about how you became a Christian.”

Now, please keep in mind this was the easy question. I also gave him a three page questionnaire which included many practical, pertinent (from my perspective) questions. Do you own a watch? Does it work? How do you define the English word “late?” If you were to be shot, where would you least like to receive the bullet?

By the way, I am not making this up. Chris took the paper copy of his application home to his father who made copies of it the next day and distributed it around his office. Probably the only reason I was not arrested is that many Chicago policemen also have daughters!

After Chris and Krista were married, Chris confessed that his conversation with me was the first time he had ever given his testimony. In fact, it might have been the moment when he actually experienced conversion in the Evangelical sense of the word! I have a feeling he would have done anything to date Krista.

One of the great privileges of my life has been to see my sons-in-law recover from the emotion-filled beginning of our relationships and become my life companions. Without desiring to steal anything away from their biological fathers, they have also become my sons. I am proud of both of them and what they are accomplishing in life.

Today is a special milestone in the life of Chris Ophus as he is ordained a pastor and minister of the Gospel with the New Life Church. He has come a long way since that primitive confession of faith given before my unwavering stare. I like to delude myself that some of our conversations together over the years have helped form him into the pastor he has become. However, obviously most of it has happened because of his own decisions to follow steadily after His Lord.

Chris, I must confess this rather stern “father-in-law-to-be” who tried his best to get you to give up and walk back out the living room door without ever getting permission to date Krista, has some tears in his eyes as he writes these words. I am so proud of who you are as a man, husband, father and, now, pastor. Your desire to reflect the character and priorities of your Lord is evident in all that you do. I am honored to be part of your family today.

And, by the way, it really would help if I could borrow one of your cars the next time I am in Chicago. If you need to interview me about that, maybe we could set something up by phone or Skype. Or, perhaps you just want to send me an application by email to fill out.

YET ONE MORE NOTE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT: Su's 63 year-old brother, Dan Sawtell, finished the New York Marathon today! Well done!

No comments: